IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee:
1. Complete an American Legion Membership Application. (Click Here for Application) or obtain one at the Post.
You can also apply online for new membership and/or renew your current membership. Click here http://www.legion.org/ to visit The American Legion Headquarter's web site.
2. Mail the application to the American Legion Post 28, 31768 Legion Rd, Millsboro, DE 19966 together with your dues payment of $50; this includes $40.00 dues plus $10 key card. (Applications are also available at the Post.)
3. Mail or bring in a copy of your DD 214. (To obtain a copy of your discharge papers, please click here for link to site for Veteran's Service Record Information).
4. Make checks payable to our Post listed above. DO NOT SEND CASH.
5. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and a membership card plus key card will be mailed to you.
6. Please see eligibility dates below.
7. The Membership Desk will be manned Monday through Saturday from 0800 hours to 1300 hours to issue your 2021 membership cards and answer questions.
To transfer membership to Post 28,
Please click here to complete Member Data Change Form.
See Art Linton at the Membership Desk (Commander's Office) for more information
Hours are 8am to 1pm, Monday thru Saturday
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces.
Must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates above and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
For any questions please contact our membership chairman, or stop by the Post.
Membership Eligibility for American Legion Auxiliary
A woman who is eligible for membership in The American Legion is also eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary.
The mother, wife, daughter, sister, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter, or grandmother of members of the American Legion, and deceased veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces during the listed war eras above.
Are you under the age of 18? You can also join as a Junior member.
How to Join the Auxiliary
1. Complete the American Legion Auxiliary Membership application by clicking on link below to either obtain a printable application or fillable application.
2. Mail or bring in the completed application to Oak Orchard Riverdale, American Legion Auxiliary Unit 28, 31768 Legion Rd, Millsboro, DE 19966. Please send payment for your dues of $45.00. This includes $35.00 dues plus $10.00 for key card. (Applications are also available at the Post)
3. Make checks payable to A.L.A. Unit 28. DO NOT SEND CASH.
4. You can also apply online for new membership and/or renew your current membership by clicking on the link to the National Auxiliary Website. http://www.alaforveterans.org/
PLEASE DO NOT SEND APPLICATION TO DEPARTMENT STATE HEADQUARTERS. MAIL DIRECTLY TO UNIT 28 AS INDICATED ABOVE.
Click Here to Print Out Auxiliary Application
To Transfer membership to Unit 28 Click Here for Member Change Form
Are you a son of a veteran? Would you like to join The American Legion? Contact our American Legion Post where you can find out your eligibility status and apply for membership in the world's largest veteran's organization. Complete the application below and proudly become a SON OF THE LEGION.
Mail the application or bring it into the above address, together with your dues payment of $40.00 plus $10.00 for the key card for a total of $50.00. (Applications are also available at the Post.)
Q: I am related to someone who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibilty dates. Can I join the Sons of The American Legion?
A: If your father, grandfather or great-grandfather served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates and is a member of The American Legion, you may join the Sons of The American Legion.
However, if the qualifying veteran is deceased you may join the appropriate organization, even if the qualifying veteran was not a member of The American Legion when living.
Click Here for Application For Sons of The Legion
To Transfer Membership to Squadron 28 Click Here for Change Form
- Members must hold membership in and be in good standing with The American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion.
- Members must be legally registered motorcycle owners or be the legally registered owner's spouse within the state of registration
- All operators must be properly licensed and insured per state laws.
- All members must obey motor-vehicle laws in the state in which they are operating a motorcycle or riding as a passenger.
To join Post 28 Legion Riders
Please click here for membership application.